U.S. Army JAG School Oral History Interview Conducted With Major General (USA Ret.) Harold E. ParkerBook
Harold E. Parker was born in Canton, New York, on 25 March 1918. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from Cornell University in 1938 and was commissioned as a second lieutenant, Field Artillery, in the Army Reserves. Soon after graduation he married his high school sweetheart, Jane (Burnham) Parker, and they moved to New York City. General Parker held a variety of jobs in New York, from selling insurance to working for the National Broadcasting Studios.
In 1941, with World War II on the horizon, General Parker entered active duty with the 156th Field Artillery Regiment, 44th Infantry Division. In June 1942, he was transferred to the 75th Field Artillery Battalion and accompanied the unit for two years of duty in the Aleutian Islands. He served as a battery officer until the battalion returned to the United States in May 1944. In March 1945, the battalion was reassigned to Italy, where General Parker commanded a headquarters battery and participated in the Po Valley campaign.
In August 1945, he returned to the United States and commanded a battery at the Field Artillery Replacement Training Center, Fort Bragg, until April 1946. Upon completion of the strategic Intelligence Course at the Military Intelligence School, General Parker served as a plans officer in the Intelligence Division, War Department General Staff, from May 1946 until he entered Stanford Law School, while on active duty, in September 1948. At Stanford, General Parker was President of the Stanford Law Review. Notably, two members of the United States Supreme Court, Justices O'Connor and Rehnquist, were also on General Parker's law review. After graduation in June 1951, and admission to the California Bar, General Parker was assigned to the Staff Judge Advocate's Office, Sixth United States Army.
In 1952 General Parker began a 3-year tour in Germany. He served as an Assistant Staff Judge Advocate at 7th Army Headquarters and at the 2nd Armored Division before becoming the Staff Judge Advocate for the 1st Infantry Division, from 1953 to 1955.
Following graduation from the Command and General Staff College in 1956, General Parker was assigned to the Military Justice Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C. During this tour he acted as the Recorder to the Secretary of the Army's Special Committee to Study the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
In 1960 General Parker returned to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, as an instructor and as the Judge Advocate General's Corps Special Representative to the Command and General Staff School. In 1963 he was selected to attend the Army War College. Upon graduation in 1964, he was assigned as the Staff Judge Advocate for the United States Commander, Berlin. In 1967, General Parker returned to Washington, D.C. to be promoted to Brigadier General and for assignment as the Assistant Judge Advocate General for Military Law.
In 1971, General Parker was selected for a second star and promoted to Major General. He became the Assistant Judge Advocate General of the Army and served in that capacity until his retirement in 1975.
General and Mrs. Parker have raised three children: Jeffrey, Keith, and Melissa. The Parkers currently reside in Alexandria, Virginia, where Mrs. Parker is active in church affairs. MG Parker is an active member of the Board of Governors for the Inter-American Bar Association, an association of private attorneys from both North and South America.
[Information current as of 1986].
Parker, Harold E., 1918-, Interviews, Judge advocates , United States
All rights reserved (no additional license for public reuse)
McFetridge, Robert C., Harry L. Williams, Jr. U.S. Army JAG School Oral History Interview Conducted With Major General (USA Ret.) Harold E. Parker. Charlottesville, Va., 1986
Judge Advocates Generals School
JAGC Regimental Oral History 1986 Parker
Contents: Includes index, Copy bound in three-ring binder, Box also contains: a loose leaf bound second copy, the interview in two cassette tapes, and work files on two 5.5" floppy disks.